#PlasticFreeJuly – Raise the volume on plastic pollution
Welcome to Plastic Free July! Thank you for taking the pledge to avoid disposable plastic and to take action for a future without plastic pollution. This post archives the second weekly email to Plastic Free July participants. We asked the Community to help us raise the volume on the conversation about plastic and plastic pollution. Here are three ways you can take action:
Easy: Share a story or video about plastic pollution on social media. We’ve collected a bunch of great stories for you to choose from below.
Awesome: We want to see your creative, clever, reusable plastic-free solutions! Share a photo, video, or story about your Plastic Free July experience so far: post to social media with the hashtags #PlasticFreeJuly and #StoryOfStuff, or upload a photo directly to our website.
Epic: Get a friend to take the #PlasticFreeJuly pledge with you. Just send them here to sign up!
Ready to start sharing? Here are some stories to help you start the conversation:
- You’ve probably already given up bottled water. But is there someone in your life who needs to watch The Story of Bottled Water? Brush up on the talking points or send the movie their way.
- You could also remind friends that plastic is made from oil – find out how much oil (and water!) it takes to produce a liter of bottled water.
- Find out how many plastic bottles the world uses every minute, or how many plastic bags an average U.S. family uses every year.
- Luckily, plastic bag bans or fees are spreading to more communities. Find out just how effective they are!
- What happens to all that plastic when it reaches the ocean? See the upsetting answer.
- Think marine plastic pollution is only a problem for fish? Think again – you’ll be surprised where microplastics are showing up.
So that’s your challenge this week: spread the word and turn up the volume on the conversation about plastic pollution. Thank you for being part of the solution!