Latest Community

Our Next Movie Needs You

Our team spent last Wednesday in a studio shooting our next movie — The Story of Change. I’m more excited to share this movie with you than any of the six we’ve made since releasing the original Story of Stuff because it explains how we can make big change together...

Read more

I Know You Can Relate

Have you ever hit the point of feeling completely overwhelmed? Last week I spoke with five separate people who have been personally affected by cancer. Then last night I opened the National Geographic to unwind and learned that black rhinos are being poached to the point of extinction, mostly for...

Read more

Not quite ready for compost worms…

In January, Pennsylvania resident Karla Trotman spent a day in her home with our very own Annie Leonard for a taping of ABC daytime show The Revolution.

Read more

Annie’s live chat with Treehugger

Originally archived by Treehugger.

Read more

Stop Shopping, Start Living

Dear friend, I’m back in California today preparing for Thanksgiving with family and friends after a week on the road. Revisionist history aside, Thanksgiving is a great holiday — an opportunity in the midst of our hectic year-end hustle and bustle to spend two days pausing, recharging, and looking into...

Read more

Rosa González: WATER WORKS

Post written by Rosa González from Green For All  Every year, enough untreated sewage escapes into our waterways to completely cover the state of Pennsylvania in sludge an inch thick. Yuck. So what if there were a way to fix that – while putting over 1.8 million people to work...

Read more

“We’re just trying to save the environment”

In this inspiring little video produced by our friends at the Dogwood Alliance, you’ll see 10-year-old Cole and three of his friends travel from North Carolina to the KFC headquarters in Louisville, KY to deliver over 6000 hand-drawn postcards from youth across the South asking the company to green their packaging. As...

Read more

Nestle rejects pumping from Wacissa for its bottled water plan

Originally Posted by Mary Ellen Klas. The headwaters of North Florida’s spring-fed Wacissa River has been the source of an intense local feud over whether to allow Nestle Waters North America to pump water from the spring for use in its Madison County bot­tling plant. Grassroots lobbying groups mounted an educational campaign...

Read more

Happy Planet Index (or Economics as if People and the Planet Mattered)

Last week, I finally got to meet the people at the New Economics Foundation, whose motto is “economics as if people and the planet mattered.” These are the guys in London who create the fascinating Happy Planet Index, or HPI, which evaluates countries based on 3 components: their level of...

Read more

Moving beyond the false divide of environment versus economy

I was recently at a meeting near Washington, D.C. where speakers kept mentioning a new Gallup poll showing that Americans care more about the economy than the environment. Gallup say this is the first time the U.S. public has prioritized economic growth over environmental protection since it started asking this...

Read more

Sharing is a two way street

Over the past two years, a network of over 300,000 people like you has grown up around The Story of Stuff Project. You count on us to produce high quality, easy to understand movies on the topics you and your communities care about. Movies like The Story of  Bottled Water and The...

Read more

What’s the best way to not get invited back to dinner?

1. Spill red wine on the carpet. 2. Bring a 6-inch stack of photos from your just-completed family vacation. 3. Talk about excessive corporate influence in American democracy..

Read more

Choose Family Over Frenzy

As posted on Huffington Post. When I turned on my computer today, I had 7 emails from vendors announcing special low prices – Black Friday deals – available all week. The biggest discounts advertised were on electronics,which wasn’t a surprise since November is considered “electronics buying month” within the retail industry....

Read more

Are you with us?!

Dear awesome online community, I released a short video message to the Story of Stuff community today that I hope you’ll take a minute to watch. In it, I let you know a bit about our plans for the coming year, including new movies, expanded opportunities to explore sustainability issues...

Read more