Now Hiring: Community Engagement Associate
Applications Accepted Through December 12, 2014
The Story of Stuff Project was founded in 2008 to leverage one of the earliest and most successful cause-related viral movies: Annie Leonard’s The Story of Stuff. Our mission is to transform the way we make, use and throw away Stuff. Over the past six years, our trademark animated movies have garnered more than 44 million online views and our Community has supported dozens of environmental campaigns and projects with their time, energy, and money.
This year we’ve launched a series of programs to empower our now 800,000 Community members to make some big time environmental and social change, including basic training in civic participation through an innovative online Boot Camp and community-generated campaigns on the issues they care about.
In December 2014, we expect to acquire a leading online waste reduction platform, which will both provide our Community members with the opportunity to take tangible, environmentally beneficial action and greatly increase the demands on our Community Engagement team. We are seeking a full-time Community Engagement Associate in our Berkeley, CA office to increase our team’s communications and organizing capabilities.
Position Summary – Community Engagement Associate
The Community Engagement Associate will be at the front-line of the Story of Stuff Project’s interaction with our 800,000-member online Community, as well as the 1 million+ members of the platform the Project is about to acquire. The focus of the position will be on daily communication and engagement cycles. The Community Engagement Manager will be responsible for generally supporting and responding to our Community members needs; generating outgoing communication to members, supporters and partners on a daily basis, on a series of platforms, including social media; implementing meaningful engagement cycles for our Community members; and utilizing our database and analytics tools to track and make sense of member impact.
- Respond promptly, informatively and courteously to incoming email, chat and phone communication from individual Community members and organizational partners
- Manage the database systems that facilitate communication with Community members and partners
- Improve member service quality by studying and evaluating feedback from analytics, surveys and other tools and re-designing engagement processes
- Work with our Campaigns and Community Engagement teams to develop and implement engagement cycles, including email campaigns, and align social media strategy with those cycles
- Develop and post engaging content for our websites and social media channels
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years professional experience in environmental or social advocacy, online organizing, social media, and/or customer service in a non-profit setting
- Experience with database management and analytics tools
- Ability to organize and prioritize assignments and tasks, as well as adapt and react quickly as projects evolve
- Detail orientation a must
- Customer service or sales experience a plus
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, team environment
How to Apply
Send an email to Michael O’Heaney, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community Engagement Associate” in the subject line. Please include:
- A succinct cover letter that explains why you want to join our team
- Your resume
The Story of Stuff Project is an equal opportunity employer; we strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the LGBTQ community.