The new strategy to hold Big Plastic accountable
Every year, thousands of people get together to clean up the waste that washes onto beaches around the world – but more plastic always reappears. To break the cycle of plastic pollution, we need to do things another way.
This year, we’re not just cleaning up trash – we’re bringing accountability to the companies that create it.
To do so, groups and individuals around the world are organizing brand audits. So, what is a brand audit?
It’s a global cleanup with a healthy dose of citizen science! From September 10-16, volunteers around the world will be picking up litter at beaches, parks, and other public spaces. In addition to collecting waste, they’ll be tallying what brands and products show up most often. This data will help The Story of Stuff Project and our partners in the #breakfreefromplastic movement identify the companies whose products most often end up in the environment, so we can work together to hold them accountable for their waste. Take a look at this video to learn more:
Want to get involved? Here’s how you can participate:
- Organize a brand audit in your community! Step up to the plate by hosting a brand audit where you live. Watch our informational webinar about hosting a brand audit, or check out this post which covers all the same info. When you’re ready to take the next step, head here register your event with us. Once you sign up we’ll send you our in depth ‘how to guide’.
- Join a brand audit near you! Members of the Story of Stuff Project community – and our partners in the #breakfreefromplastic movement – are organizing brand audits around the world. Take a look below to find an event near you!
- Conduct a brand audit by yourself or with a few friends. Spend an hour or two collecting and auditing plastic waste in your community! Learn more and sign up to do a mini brand audit.
- Join the movement! The brand audit strategy was originally developed by #breakfreefromplastic member organizations in Manila, Philippines. Learn more about this global movement to end plastic pollution.
Brand Audit Events
Join a brand audit happening near you! Don’t see one in your area? Check back as we continue to update this directory; or, step up to the plate by organizing an event in your community!
- Melbourne – September 15, 9:30am – info & RSVP
- Wollongong – September 15, 9:00am – info & RSVP
- Sydney, Pennant Hills Park – September 16, 10:00am – info & RSVP
- Sydney, Manly Beach – September 15, 2:00 pm – info & RSVP
- George Town – September 15, 1:00pm – info & RSVP
- Karaagaç, Kyrenia – September 15, 4:00pm – info & RSVP
- Shek O Back Beach – September 15, 10:00am – info & RSVP
- Lantau Island – September 15, 2:00pm – info & RSVP
- Juhu Chowputty beach, Mumbai – September 10, 11:00am – info & RSVP
- Bengaluru – September 16, 7:00am – info & RSVP
- Bengaluru – September 16, 4:00pm – info & RSVP
- Jūrmala – September 15, 12:00pm – info & RSVP
- Kaitaia – September 15, 8:00am – info & RSVP
- Lisbon – Friday, September 14, 9:30am – info & RSVP
- Lagoa de Óbidos – September 15, 9:30am – info & RSVP
- Sintra – September 8, 10:30am – info & RSVP
- Cape Town – September 15, 11:00am – info & RSVP
- Busan – September 16, 10:00am – info & RSVP
- Dar es Salaam – September 15, 7:30 am – info & RSVP
- Berkeley – September 11, 4:00pm – info & RSVP
- Clearlake – September 15, 9:00am – info & RSVP
- Long Beach – September 15, 1:00pm – info & RSVP
- San Francisco – September 15, 9:00am – info & RSVP
- Santa Monica – September 15, 9:00am – info & RSVP
- San Ramon – September 15, 10:00am – info & RSVP
- Wheat Ridge – September 16, 4:00pm – info & RSVP
- New Castle – September, 9:00am – info & RSVP
- Driggs – September 11, 10:00am – info & RSVP
- Gloucester – September 12, 10:00am – info & RSVP
- Duluth – September 16, 1:00pm – info & RSVP
- Lee’s Summit – September 10, 8:00am – info & RSVP
- Peculiar – September 15, 3:00pm – info & RSVP
- Warrensburg – September 16, 1:00am – info & RSVP
- Castleton-on-Hudson – September 16, 11:00am – info & RSVP
- New York – September 16, 10:00am – info & RSVP
- Portland – September 15, 9:30am – info & RSVP
- South Beach State Park – September 12, 9:00am – info & RSVP
- Hot Springs – September 13, 9:30am – info & RSVP
- Austin – September 16th, 9:00am – info & RSVP (18+ only)
- Hewitt – September 16, 9:00am – info & RSVP
- Houston – September 14, 10:30am – info & RSVP
- Houston – September 16, 1pm – info & RSVP
- Alexandria – September 15, 12:30 – info & RSVP
- Alexandria – September 13, 9:30am – info & RSVP
- Arlington – September 11, 10:00am – info & RSVP
- Poultney – September 16, 1pm – info & RSVP
Watertown – September 15, 3:00pm – info & RSVP