It’s the most ambitious plastic bill ever proposed in the US. We need your help to get it passed.
WHAT THIS BILL DOES
The California Circular Economy and Plastic Pollution Reduction Act is the most ambitious state legislation introduced to slash plastic pollution. It phases out nonrecyclable single-use plastics, reduces demand for ‘virgin’ plastic, creates green jobs… and provides a model for other states to follow! Passing this bill will be a huge win for the global movement to end plastic pollution.
WHERE WE STAND
This bill passed the first vote in each house with a healthy margin. Now, we need to pass the second round of votes. If all the state Senators and Assemblymembers who voted YES the first time vote YES again, we’re golden. But industry lobbyists have this bill in the crosshairs, and are trying to significantly water it down… or kill it altogether. It’s make-or-break time for this groundbreaking bill.
We’re launching a global push to deliver a simple message to the Senators and Assembly members who voted for this bill in the first round:
Thank you for your vote – now stay the course and vote yes in the next round – a global movement is watching and counting on you to do the right thing!
We’re inviting people from all around the world to sign on to this message, helping us keep the pressure on until this bill becomes law. We’ll deliver these message to the state capitol at a public event in August, shortly before the bill comes up for its final vote.
ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE
There are a couple of ways you can add your voice:
- EASY: Sign our global solidarity card that we’ll hand deliver to legislators! ADD YOUR NAME!
- AWESOME: Share a photo of you with a “Thank You” message! UPLOAD YOUR PHOTO!
- EPIC: Write a “Thank You” card! Mail it to The Story of Stuff Project and we’ll deliver it to legislators in Sacramento. The Story of Stuff Project, Re: Plastic Bill, 1442A Walnut St. #272, Berkeley, CA 94709
- LOCAL: Do you live in or near Sacramento, California? RSVP for a day of action with The Story of Stuff Project to push this bill across the finish line. August 21, 2019. RSVP
There has never been a better time to make a difference – or a bigger need to take action. Every signature, photo, and card makes it more likely that we’ll win. Be a plastic hero and take action today?
- Debunking the Plastic Industry’s Myths on California’s Plastic Pollution Reduction Bill
- A Crossroads on Plastic Pollution: details about the bill